Saturday, January 22, 2011

A) Panic B) Breakdown C) Yoga

Classes started again this week, and although I should be somewhat thrilled that my never-ending journey is almost complete, dragging my ass to class has been less than stimulating.   The whole “college experience” appeal wore off somewhere between 2005 and 2006, and it’s been more or less like Groundhog Day ever since. Fun fact: Only 1.5% of teen-moms graduate with a Bachelors degree before they turn 30, so as long and I complete this semester and then take 3 more credits I’ll be able to partake in that statistic.  Trust me, I’m not bragging- in fact I’m pretty humiliated by the fact I’ve been in school since 2004- but I had other priorities to fulfill.  And if anyone from the NIDA should find and read this blog, then I’m sure a reimbursement of some sort is in order for all the research I’ve done for you guys.  Anyway, it occurred to me on Wednesday during attendance that I am by far not only the oldest, but I’m also the oldest looking person in the room.   I’ve looked about 12 years old since my 16th birthday, so to realize I was “the old one” was pretty harsh.   *Deep breath *…I think…God …is telling me-gulp- it’s time to grow up.

No biggie-  I’ve had a couple of these mini life crisis’s and I’ve learned how do deal.  First, I go on an obsessive and manic rampage.  It could be anything from cleaning to being as mean as possible; as long as you don’t try to stop me your feelings are safe.  Next, I curl up in a little ball in the bottom corner of the closet (literally) and cry because clearly my life is over and there is no way this will work itself out.  Finally, I compose myself, apologize when necessary, get my hair done, and make a list of possible solutions.  This three part cycle can last anywhere from minutes to a few months.  Since I am well aware of this crazy girl pattern of mine it's kind of easy to control.  Of course by "control" I mean "know what to expect".  And hence have already prepared for the after math.  Did I mention that my Friday schedule for the next 14 weeks of the semester is 2 hrs of yoga followed by a 3 hr painting class--did I plan ahead or what!

My yoga professor is a hard core yogi, not to mention a Dr of Theology, Ethics, Spirituality and everything else geared towards enlightenment.  He's been eating organic before it was in, studied yoga before Sting made it cool, and has been on plenty of spiritual retreats to India and Tibet.  He's the closest I'll ever get to the Dalai Llama and therefore is my new hero (sorry Mr Llama but I've moved on [for now]).  I've decided to take every suggestion he makes and apply it to my life.  Thus far I need to buy powders I can't pronounce at the natural health store for smoothies (which in all honesty I've been planning to do anyway),  eliminate red meat from my diet, wake up every morning before 6, practice yoga daily, eat a legitimate breakfast, and make one day a week vegetarian day.  Not gunna lie:  Just typing it makes me feel healthier.  This girl is totally stoked.   As for my art class, I have an endless list of art supplies that I need to buy--but know nothing about; pints of acrylic matte and gloss mediums?  I know what a pint is, as for the rest I'm clueless.  But thats OK- because even though I'm the ONLY non art major and the ONLY non artist in a class full of artistically inclined and eager Sophomores [some cruel department head decided to combine my beginners class with an advanced topic art class] my newly found zen master says I should approach everything with an open mind and know that there are no wrong turns only unexpected paths.  So hopefully this path doesn't lead me towards to much discomfiture. <---I hope I used that word the correct way, part of my new grown up lifestyle is enhancing my vocabulary :)
 Even if my attempt at art ends in an epic fail--I honestly really don't give a shit.  Mainly because at the end of the day I know that they still have 2 years left, and I don't--baa hahhaha!  suckers.
      
And so begins my second to last emotionally draining but spiritually fulfilling semester of college.  Emergence of Modern Europe for intellect, yoga for spiritual awareness, and fundamentals of painting 101 for...um?.....a reason to drag Christopher to art galleries with me!   win.   

No comments:

Post a Comment